Wednesday, August 12, 2009

ARE YOU A YES-YES PERSON?

Today's topic came to me from several widely divergent directions, all seeming to pop into my life serendipitously and synergistically. It started with an article I read in the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday, July 5. It was about Peter Pitofsky, a professional clown who teaches that art. He says,
"Being a clown is about ignoring the No-No part of yourself, and listening to the Yes-Yes part. You should be like a 5-year-old in the sandbox having fun. No judgement."

I was reminded of the old song, "Your Lips Tell Me No-No, But There's
Yes-Yes In Your Eyes," first recorded by Paul Whiteman in 1924, and later
by Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and many others. And I was also reminded of one of my all-time favorite quotes by the last part of Pitofsky's comment. From Thomas H. Huxley:

"Sit down before fact like a little child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion. Follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing."

I had this in calligraphy on my wall for many years, though the version I had didn't have "and to whatever abysses.." I later found out the famed
nineteenth century scientist and philosopher made this point in a letter to a clergyman about the conflicts between science and religion. And there was what I think is an important additional sentence in that letter:

"I have only begun to learn contentment and peace of mind since I have resolved at all risks to do this."

Quite recently, I sent the first draft of my about-to-be published online book, The Moneylove Manifesto to Rupa Cousins, one of the most beautiful (inside and out) women I have ever known. In this e-book, I talk about some specific action-oriented prosperity strategies, including one I introduced in seminars some years ago, The Compliment Bulletin Board. The idea is that whenever someone pays you a compliment that really feels good, you ask them to put it in writing and sign it. You then post it on your Compliment Bulletin Board. Well, Rupa sent me a compliment for my board:

Jerry Gillies, you changed my life. From an unemployed actress in a “no” saying world and in an abusive relationship, in the late 1970’s, you Jerry, took me by the hand and heart and brought me into a new way of life, a life that has been defined by “yes.” Yes to a completely new work as therapist, teacher, healer and workshop leader. Yes, to living an integrated life honoring mind, body, heart and spirit and Yes to becoming a mentor to many who have come into my orbit. And it is with delight and joy that I remain your close friend through the years and forever!


To find out more about Rupa, check out www.rupacousins.com


In case you're wondering about my reaction to this compliment, let's just say you may have noticed me walking funny, as my toes are curled up in pleasure.


And all of this leads me to realize it can be very useful to decided which you are, a "yes-yes" or a "no-no"

So which is it, on balance? Would someone who knows you call you "Yes-Yes"?

Or do you fall more into the "No-no" category? Your answer may have everything in the world to do with your level of success and satisfaction.

Jerry


And by the way--if you would like your own free copy of The Moneylove Manfesto, just send me a brief request via my email at JerryGillies@gmail.com-- It should be ready to publish and download in a couple of weeks. You can also ask for information about the team of people i am working with to taste and share delicious healthy dark chocolate.

















No comments: