Sunday, June 14, 2009

LAUGHING OUT LOUD

As I ponder some of the basic foundation of my forthcoming book on the power of single sentences, I certainly want to make sure some of them are laugh-out-loud funny.
When is the last time you laughed out loud when you were absolutely alone?  It's a lot easier, of course, in company. But there are times when having a good giggle or guffaw in complete privacy can be valuable. It stirs the juices, releases those endorphins, and massages your internal organs. Many researchers have attested to its life prolonging properities.

Humor has always been a part of my life. As a kid, I used to print up and distribute little newletter satirical reviews of my parents' cousins' club meetings. And in Jr. High School, I was the humorist on the school paper. Later, while playing the role of serious newsman at NBC Radio in New York, I would try out comedy material at the original Improvisation, the first comedy club in the world, and the only one in the early 1970s. I wrote for several comedians, and had started writing gags for magazine cartoonists even earlier than that, between broadcast stints at the radio and TV station I worked at in Richmond, Virginia. 

It came naturally--my father was very funny. Everyone who knew him as a child say he was much funnier than his neighbor two doors down, Joey Gottlieb, who became the comedy star and Rat Pack member, Joey Bishop. But Joey was more willing to
take risks, to struggle all during the 1930s and 1940s trying to earn a living at show business. It wasn't until the late 1940s when he was discovered in Atlantic City by Frank Sinatra that it all became true for him. My father's unwillingness to go through all that with no guarantee of success taught me a valuable lesson in reverse. I determined never in my life to be in a position where I could look back and say, "I wish I had had the nerve to go for that, to take that risk."

This is all by way of an introduction to the main point of this essay, which is to share with you some recent online discoveries that tickle my own funnybone and have made me laugh out loud.  On April 22 I published a post on this blog about humor, and will continue to do so from time to time. And these could just be the most important and useful posts of all.  

I just found in the past week, one of the funniest sites ever, and I want to share with you the first short cartoon I watched on it, warning you first that it is in extremely bad taste and pretty raunchy--get the children out of the room now!


Make sure you click on the play movie pawprint. This icebox.com site is a treasure trove of funny adult cartoons.

Next, a great animation site and funny one minute cartoon:


and finally, imagine a website that films seven nights a week from the nation's top comedy clubs--talk about an unending source of laughter. This bit is about one of my pet peeves, and I've sent it to a bunch of friends.


all three of these sites offer many more items to pick from.
And if you think you don't have time for such frivolous activities, I think you're missing the point. Not the point of this blog--the point of life.  Enjoy it all!
                     Jerry

By the way, I improve immensely the impact of this funny stuff by watching it as I have a healthy dark chocolate Xocai Nugget melt in my mouth. To find out more about my prosperity team sharing this fantastic business opportunity, or to request a free sample, just get in touch:
jerrygillies@gmail.com


No comments: