Sunday, March 6, 2011

THE HEART WANTS WHAT IT WANTS

I just finished watching Any Human Heart on Masterpiece Classic on PBS.org, and it really touched me. The story of a man's life through much of the 20th Century focusing on each of the women he's loved and who loved him back. As I watched it, I reflected on the women in my life over the years, who I think were more beautiful in the aggregate than his, and certainly more fascinating. An underlying theme of the story is a message he got from his businessman father as he was dying. That it's "all about luck, good luck and bad luck."

Of course, I often talk about "playing your luck," that we all have both good luck and bad luck as we go through life, and it's what we do in response to each that makes all the difference. Back to reflections on my past and the women who inhabited it, and still inhabit my heart to a lesser or greater extent, depending on both their place in my life at the time, and on what was happening at the time I knew them and loved them.

Part of why Rupa Cousins is so prominent in my heart today has to do with the amazing period in which we met, fell in love, and went through major life transformations in each other's company and with each other's loving support and inspiration. When we met in a Silva Mind Control workshop in New York, I was leaving in two weeks, having given up my broadcasting career, to move to Miami and live with a psychologist I had met while covering an Association for Humanistic Psychology conference for NBC. Rupa was an actress and married to an actor. But the heart wants what it wants when it wants it, and a few months later we were both in Miami and a couple. She became a yoga teacher and workshop leader, I wrote books and led workshops on love. We each went on, together and later apart in our separate lives, to discover many new vocations and adventures. And in some ways we are closer today than we were way back then. She is smarter and more interesting and just as beautiful as then, with an even more active lifestyle. And I am more creatively productive and starting new projects like a stand-up comedy career and eventual one man show.

In Any Human Heart, the woman Logan Mountstuart remembers most clearly is Freya, the wife who died during a World War II rocket attack on London. The actress playing her actually reminds me physically of Rupa, but Freya never got to grow and expand her talents and knowledge over many years. In that sense, I feel luck has been on my side, and I as eagerly look forward to the days coming as I do back to the days already come and gone.
It was Rupa's cousin, Norman Cousins, who gave me the phrase that has become a life mantra,
"Robust Expectations," and this human heart may not always be quite sure what it wants, but is always pretty certain something good will keep showing up.
Jerry


There is more in the form of another entirely different blog devoted to my work as a prosperity consciousness teacher. Check it out at: http://www.MoneyloveBlog.com

No comments: