Sunday, December 7, 2008

THE PURPOSE OF THE JERRY GILLIES BLOG: FUN!

I just saw Arianna Huffington, founder of one of the world’s most successful blogs, HuffingtonPost.com, on The Daily Show. Watching this show, by the way, via HULU.COM, a free video site, is a special treat as we were not allowed access to cable during my 12 years in prison. No Sopranos, no Colbert Report, no Discovery Channel or Bravo or Fox News or MSNBC or CSPAN. And I had a chance to meet Arianna back in the 1980s when she was involved with the spiritual group, Movement for Spiritual Inner Awareness, led by a religious quack named John-Roger, whom I still think she considers a friend.

My friend, Jack Canfield, was ostracized, or as the Amish would say, “shunned” by the group. Jack, co-creator of the Chicken Soup For The Soul series, had been brought to Southern California by John-Roger to be the Education Director for Insight Training Seminars, a competitor of EST and similar intense consciousness-training workshops. It was supposed to be separate from the MSIA movement, but John-Roger usually made an appearance and gave a talk and I thought it was spiritual tripe. Jack eventually came to agree with me, especially when it was discovered that John-Roger was having sex with two brothers on his support team, and paying each a lot of money to keep it a secret, even from the brother. Jack Canfield blew the whistle on this, and he was banished. He and his lovely wife, Georgia, were ignored by every friend they had in the MSIA and Insight Training community. If they went to the supermarket and encountered a former friend, that friend would rush out before completing their shopping. Anyway, this always pops up from my memory banks when I see Arianna Huffington.

But she is smart and insightful and I like much of her political reporting. On the subject of blogging, which she has a new book about, she said it has to be about your passion, and it should not be perfect--it should be more like a rough draft, written off the top of your head. Well, my blog certainly qualifies on these counts. It’s about my love affair with dark chocolate, my excitement about the XOCAI opportunity and building a successful team of prosperous partners, and a chance to make a powerful and impactful re-entry into society after being broke and in prison for 12 years. My purpose is to make it fun. The business, the challenges, working with all types of people from all walks of life. There is one thing I don’t have to focus on making fun: the consumption of this fantastic health dark chocolate.

Jerry Gillies
(the other night, one of the company's top earners did a training call and talked a lot about how much fun she was having--that's what I'm talking about. You can make a lot of money a lot of different ways, but few of them are as fun-oriented as this.) Find out more by contacting me at: jerrygillies@gmail.com

No comments: